Saturday, May 21, 2011

Krakow 16/5 - 20/5

Krakow is a really nice city, but smaller than i expected. I am staying in another really good hostel. This one does free breakfast and free dinner, and it is really good food - home made polish meals every night, which is great because it means i have tasted a lot of different foods that i wouldn't have tried otherwise. Over the last couple of days I have done a few trips out of the city - one to Auschwitz and one to the Salt Mines about 30mins outside the city. I also did an excellent free walking tour of the Jewish Quarter, and despite not having seen Shindlers List I have now seen most of the places where it was filmed and learned about the "real" story.

The weather has been fantastic - 25-30 degrees every day. I think I am going to freeze in the UK.

Old Town, Krakow

Church in front of the Castle

A fire breathing statue!

The pope (the one before the current one). He was polish and everyone loves him. There is a statue of him pretty much everywhere I have been in Poland.

Auschwitz

Auschwitz memorial (english version)
Jewish Quarter
Street Art
Walls of the Jewish Ghetto
A memorial in Krakow's Jewish Quarter. The walking tour guy loved it. He said that he thinks it is one of the best memorials in Europe because when the Jews were moved to the concentration camps all of their belongings and furniture was thrown into this area, so there actually were chairs there. And then the chairs are empty which represents the people no longer being there.

Chapel in the Salt Mine. Everything is made from salt - floors, walls, stairs, chandeliers....except for the white cloth on the alter.





2 comments:

  1. Told you Krakow was awesome. Have you done the beer and vodka tasting yet? You should, it's fun! It's good that you did the jewish quarter walking tour. That's really good! Where are you off to next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex, I'm in Newcastle now, off to the soccer today. I did a vodka tasting night at the hostel - 10 shots (but it was more like 15-20). It was a really fun night. Did you stay at the same place? I know you recommended it but I can't remember if you stayed there.

    ReplyDelete